Livin' life one day at a time.

As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving. - Col 2:6-7

Spring at the Kentucky Welcome Center

Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A man we will all miss - we love you Papa Harold.

Today has been a very difficult day.  My grandfather died today.  I know that he is now with our Saviour and I cannot be sad for that.  I am, however, sad for those of us here still that remember what a good man he was and will not be able to talk with him or see him again.  I have spent the day praying for God to move mountains - making plans and preparations to get to South Carolina for the funeral.  I have also spent the day watching one prayer after another be answered and the Lord providing, even in the little things.  I've spent the day praying for my Grandmother and that God would carry her thru this time and let her know how much she is loved (by both her family here and her Heavenly Father). 

Papa Harold was a very special person in my life.  One of my early memories was learning how to sing the Christmas song "Hark, the herald angles sing".  I thought for years that it was "Hark, to Harold angels sing" and thought that it was pretty neat that my Papa had a Christmas song written just for him.  Of course, it didn't make much sense but that didn't matter to a 5 year old.  I also remember the time he took my brother and I down to the lake to fish.  He was very patient with us and, eventually, we all caught something.  One of us caught a fish and the other a big ole snapping turtle!  That was a very exciting day.  Then there was the time he took me driving around in his little green sports car.  I thought I was something else!  Then once as a teenager, on the way to a funeral and had a big white seagull slam into the car windshield - Grandmother and I were shrieking, Papa was as calm as can be.  (it eventually became a funny story).  I remember the way he used to eat raw onion like it was an apple (I still don't understand that, but that was part of who he was).  Beets, making hot dog chili just the way everyone liked it, frying up fish after we caught them at the lake house, bologna sandwiches...the list goes on.  It's not just big things that I'll remember him for, but the little things that made up the person who is Harold Smith.

I was very blessed to have known my grandfather when I was a child as well as an adult.  Our relationship grew as I grew up.  I value the friendship that he gave me for all these years.  I am so very grateful to all the words of wisdom and advice he gave both Glen and I.  I am so thankful for the time he spent with my older children at his knee telling stories of his childhood and his life.  Sure he had faults, who doesn't?  But, I always knew he loved me and he was never afraid to tell me so.

This is one of my favorite pictures of us.  It was taking the year before I was married. 

No comments:

Post a Comment